Wednesday, December 12, 2007

HOT DOG! ANOTHER GREAT CHICAGO POSTCARD.

Hungry? Me too. I found myself driving by Devon and Milwaukee Avenues on Chicago's Northwest side last week. Low and behold there is the SuperDawg Drive-in.

Superdawg is a 1950's style, car hop service drive-in. Yes... the waitresses come to bring your food to you in your car and leave a tray on your car window with napkins, salt, and ketchup along with your food order.

It was about 1:45 in the afternoon when I pulled into the nearly full parking lot. I carefully backed up into a stall. A couple of fine maneuvers to get close enough to reach the menu board, to push the order button, without having to open the car door. It's also very important to be close enough to the menu board so when you're ready to leave, you can flip the 'tray pick-up' switch. Then the waitress will know you're done and want your tray removed.

Superdawg's hot dogs are about the best 'Chicago style' hot dog you can get. As I was ordering my 'Superdawg" with everything and hot peppers, I noticed the souvenirs section on the menu board. "Will that complete your order?" a woman's voice said through the speaker. "I'll have 2 postcards too." I said. Completely satisfied knowing that the Chicago Postcard Museum will have a Superdawg postcard in it's collection, and I'll be eating one of the best hot dogs and fries around.

Do you know any cool Chicago places with their own postcard(s)?

posted by, Neil Jan Gale, Director
Chicago Postcard Museum

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.